From the Principal’s Desk:
Happy June everyone! I am excited that the summer has arrived and we are ready to begin Summer Camp on June 15th! Our theme for Summer Camp 2015 is ‘Passport to Adventure. We will have educational presentations, water play, and fun activities throughout the summer. We will kick off the summer on Monday, June 15th with Kona Ice and Face Painting. The summer fun will continue with Story Tellers, Science Adventures, Singers, Magicians, and more! It is sure to be a summer to remember! In June we will also celebrate our Dad’s with a special breakfast on Friday June 19th from 7:00 am – 9:30 am.
Special Welcome to our new teacher Miss Jade. Miss Jade has recently joined us as a transfer from one of our schools in California! She will be working in our Pre K Room with Miss Lana. We are very lucky to have her be part of our teaching staff!!
Special Welcome also goes out to our new families who have joined our school. We have been so fortunate to have some adorable kids join our Chesterbrook family!
Please be sure to take the time to read Dr. Starnes’ Education Article this month. It has a great list of books that you and your child can enjoy together!
Hope you all have a great month!
Tawni S. Connor, Principal
In this Issue:
• Important Dates for June
• Summer Camp 2015
• A Celebration Breakfast With Dad
• Dr. Lauren Starnes’ Education Article
• • June 1 – Tuition’s Due
• June 11 – Pre K and Pre K 2 Graduation!
• June 15 – Summer Kick Off – Kona Ice Truck and Face Painting Fun!
• June 19 – Breakfast Celebration for our Dads!
• June 19 – Happy Anniversary Miss Carolyn!
• Every Monday: Miss Marilena’s Art class
• Every Tuesday: Happy Feet Soccer!
• Every Wednesday / Thursday: In House Field Trip / Water Play Day! Please refer to your Summer Camp Calendar for details!
• Every Friday: Championship Martial Arts!
Summer Camp 20015!
Summer Camp 2015 will begin the week of June 15th. Information packets, calendars and t-shirts will go home the week of June 8. Every camper who enrolled in our summer camp program will receive a summer camp T-shirt. T-shirts are to be worn on days when our special presentations take place. These days are marked on our camp calendar. Please check your camp calendar for details. We will also have Water Play Days. Water Play Days will be marked on the calendar as well. Please check your camp calendar for days. On Water Play Days, please have your child come to school dressed in their swim gear with sunscreen and water shoes. You should also send in a towel and a change of clothes. Teachers will reapply sunscreen in the afternoon if you have a sunscreen note on file. Please see me if you need a sunscreen form. Sunscreen must be in liquid form. We cannot use aerosols in the classrooms.
Father’s Day Breakfast!
Friday, June 19th we will host a Father’s Day Breakfast for all of our Chesterbrook Dads. Please plan for a few extra minutes in the morning to have breakfast with your child. We will have breakfast treats for all of our Dad’s in our Wellness room (Room 8) during drop off time from 7 am – 9:30 am. Enjoy!
From the Education Department
25 Books to Enjoy with Your Child
– Recommended Reading Adventures for Summer –
Whatever your child’s age, it is important to continue shared reading experiences even during summer. Reading together frequently has been shown to have a profound positive influence on vocabulary acquisition, speech development and listening skills.
Below are some age-appropriate books to read with your child this summer.
• Welcome Summer by Jill Ackerman & Nancy Davis
• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
• Splish, Splash, Baby! by Karen Katz
• Llama Llama Sand and Sun by Anna Dewdney
• Baby Loves Summer! By Karen Katz
TODDLERS (ages 1-2)
• Maisy Grows a Garden by Lucy Cousins
• Monkey Ono by J. C. Phillips
• 1, 2 at the Zoo by Sue DiCicco
• Get Happy by Malachy Doyle & Caroline Uff
• The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen & Dan Hanna
BEGINNERS (ages 2-3)
• Flashlight by Lizi Boyd
• I’m a Shark by Bob Shea
• Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
• Biscuit Visits the Big City by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
• Island Counting 1, 2, 3 by Frane Lessac
INTERMEDIATES (ages 3-4)
• Mouses’s First Summer by Lauren Thompson
• Curious George Goes to the Beach by H.A. Rey
• Over in the Ocean by Marianne Berkes
• Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae
• The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
PRE-K/PRE-K 2 (ages 4-5)
• Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
• How to Hide an Octopus by Ruth Heller
• Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation by Stan and Jan Berenstain
• Froggy Goes to Hawaii by Jonathan London
• P.J. Funnybunny Camps Out by Marilyn Sadler
By experiencing a literacy-rich environment, both at school and at home, our students are prepared to become successful, confident readers in elementary school and beyond.
– Lauren Starnes, PhD- Director of Early Childhood Education