June is upon us! We are excited to start our summer! Summer will give us time to enjoy some water play activities and other special outdoor/ summer events. Our learning never stops. We will stay hard at work as we continue to learn through play. We will be saying good-bye to some friends for the summer. We are also going to be saying hello to some others who will be joining us for the summer. It is good to see old friends again!
May was a very busy time at our school. We had a great time with our moms when we enjoyed our Muffins with Moms. All of our classrooms had caterpillars that turned into butterflies. The children enjoyed releasing the butterflies! Our Trike-a-thon was a fun day. It was a cloudy day, but fortunately the rain held off and we were able to practice our biking skills. Our Pre-K classrooms had graduation. We had many warm days that we were able to enjoy our outdoor times.
We have many special days planned for June. Be sure you are looking at the calendar of events to know what is happening.
Remember to bring a water bottle and sunscreen for your child.
Please be sure the office knows any schedule changes regarding your child’s attendance.
25 Books to Enjoy with Your Child
Recommended Reading Adventures for Summer
Whatever your child’s age, it is important to continue shared reading experiences even during summer. Reading together frequently has been shown to have a profound positive influence on vocabulary acquisition, speech development and listening skills.
Below are some age-appropriate books to read with your child this summer.
• Welcome Summer by Jill Ackerman & Nancy Davis
• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
• Splish, Splash, Baby! by Karen Katz
• Llama Llama Sand and Sun by Anna Dewdney
• Baby Loves Summer! By Karen Katz
TODDLERS (ages 1-2)
• Maisy Grows a Garden by Lucy Cousins
• Monkey Ono by J. C. Phillips
• 1, 2 at the Zoo by Sue DiCicco
• Get Happy by Malachy Doyle & Caroline Uff
• The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen & Dan Hanna
BEGINNERS (ages 2-3)
• Flashlight by Lizi Boyd
• I’m a Shark by Bob Shea
• Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
• Biscuit Visits the Big City by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
• Island Counting 1, 2, 3 by Frane Lessac
INTERMEDIATES (ages 3-4)
• Mouses’s First Summer by Lauren Thompson
• Curious George Goes to the Beach by H.A. Rey
• Over in the Ocean by Marianne Berkes
• Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae
• The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
PRE-K/PRE-K 2 (ages 4-5)
• Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
• How to Hide an Octopus by Ruth Heller
• Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation by Stan and Jan Berenstain
• Froggy Goes to Hawaii by Jonathan London
• P.J. Funnybunny Camps Out by Marilyn Sadler
By experiencing a literacy-rich environment, both at school and at home, our students are prepared to become successful, confident readers in elementary school and beyond.
– Lauren Starnes, PhD- Director of Early Childhood Education