Dear parents and families of Chesterbrook Academy, Denver.
Goodbye May, hello June!! June is a time for graduation and soon, our “little ones will graduate,” from Pre-K to Kindergarten. This is a big step and transition for your child and the expectations of Kindergarten have been raised. I am aware of the high academic demands, as a long term educator, so keep on practicing your letters, sounds and reading as well as numbers, quantities and counting throughout the summer – because the tests are waiting throughout your child’s kindergarten year.
Also in the month of June, a special “shout out” to all of our fathers on Father’s Day – thank you dads for all that you do! In mid June, we begin our summer Camp Zone and, of course, June 21st begins the official start of summer. June…a lot to do, a lot to learn.
“Hats off” to all graduates and, hopefully, all the valuable lessons learned throughout the years. As always, thank you for entrusting your children to our teachers and staff…we are here for you.
With friendly greetings,
Mrs. LaSha Taylor
Executive Director, NC 1
Mrs. Lindsey DeLair
25 Books to Enjoy with Your Child
– Recommended Reading Adventures for Summer –
Whatever your child’s age, it is important to continue shared reading experiences even during summer. Reading together frequently has been shown to have a profound positive influence on vocabulary acquisition, speech development and listening skills.
Below are some age-appropriate books to read with your child this summer.
- Welcome Summer by Jill Ackerman & Nancy Davis
- Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
- Splish, Splash, Baby! by Karen Katz
- Llama Llama Sand and Sun by Anna Dewdney
- Baby Loves Summer! By Karen Katz
TODDLERS (ages 1-2)
- Maisy Grows a Garden by Lucy Cousins
- Monkey Ono by J. C. Phillips
- 1, 2 at the Zoo by Sue DiCicco
- Get Happy by Malachy Doyle & Caroline Uff
- The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen & Dan Hanna
BEGINNERS (ages 2-3)
- Flashlight by Lizi Boyd
- I’m a Shark by Bob Shea
- Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
- Biscuit Visits the Big City by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
- Island Counting 1, 2, 3 by Frane Lessac
INTERMEDIATES (ages 3-4)
- Mouses’s First Summer by Lauren Thompson
- Curious George Goes to the Beach by H.A. Rey
- Over in the Ocean by Marianne Berkes
- Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae
- The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
PRE-K/PRE-K 2 (ages 4-5)
- Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
- How to Hide an Octopus by Ruth Heller
- Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Froggy Goes to Hawaii by Jonathan London
- P.J. Funnybunny Camps Out by Marilyn Sadler
By experiencing a literacy-rich environment, both at school and at home, our students are prepared to become successful, confident readers in elementary school and beyond.
– Lauren Starnes, PhD- Director of Early Childhood Education